Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I get any tax benefits from being the caretaker of my elderly disabled parents beyond the Child and Other Dependent Tax Credits?

My mother is 74 and disabled, and my father 72 and also disabled. I am getting $1000 for Child and Other Dependent Tax Credits, but dont I also get a tax benefit for being caretaker for elderly/disabled?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Will I get any tax benefits from being the caretaker of my elderly disabled parents beyond the Child and Other Dependent Tax Credits?

Are you claiming your parents as dependents?   If so you would get the $500 credit for other dependents for each of them which you say you are getting.   And if you pay for their medical expenses and itemize deductions you can enter the out of pocket medical expenses you paid for them.   Did you pay any of their medical expenses?

No, there are no other tax benefits on your federal return for taking care of your elderly parents, or for saying on your return that they are disabled, unless you pay someone to take care of them so that you can work---in that case you could enter the child and dependent care credit and enter information for the money spent on a care provider for them.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Don't I also get a tax benefit for being caretaker for elderly/disabled?

A. No.

There  a couple of tax rules, that don't apply to you, that may be leading to that thought. 

1. If the government is paying you to care for your parents ("Medicare waiver payments that qualify as difficulty of care payments"), then that money is tax free income (but has to be reported, on your return). 

2. There is a credit for the elderly or disabled (you don't have to be both), but it applies to the taxpayer, not his dependents. Even then, very few people qualify because it's a non refundable credit.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies