turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Why was my stimulus package registration via direct deposit rejected and now so have to mail it in?

Did you file your 2018 or 2019 tax return?  If so, then the IRS already has your information.

Can you be claimed on someone's tax return as dependent?

Did you use this web page to file for your stimulus payment?   Stimulus Registration.  When you are on this web page, scroll toward the bottom and select, If you don't need to file your taxes this year.

If you did not file your 2018 or 2019 tax returns, and you can not be listed on someone else's return as a dependent, and you used the above web page to register for the stimulus payment, please try to re-file your registration.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why was my stimulus package registration via direct deposit rejected and now so have to mail it in?

I did not file for 2018 or 2019..Didn't make enough money either year/

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You can enter your information on this Economic Impact Payments site so you can receive your stimulus payment.

I submitted my Stimulus Registration info.....came back as denied today.  The reason was:  My wife filed as MFS, and when you are in this portal.....if you click MFS, it doesn't allow you to proceed.  It tells you to switch to MFJ.  But then if you speak to all the tax experts on this forum, they say file as SINGLE.  I called TurboTax as well, paid the fee for help.....and was told even if your spouse filed as MFS, register in the stimulus as SINGLE.

Well, I did that.  And it was denied by the IRS with a note that it was denied because  my filing status of SINGLE did not match my wife's filing status of MFS.  SHOCKING!!!!

So now what am I supposed to do?  Seems my only option is to file state and federal taxes at $0 income......and wait the 16 weeks for an amended return?  This system is horrible.......is this actually working for anyone? 

I filed through irs.gov and it was accepted for the stimulous package.But I didn't file in 2018 or 2019 for what it's worth.

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

New information:

Turbo Card and Stimulus Deposits - What you need to know

The IRS is sending stimulus payments to eligible taxpayers who filed a tax return in either 2019 or 2018 and chose direct deposit, and is depositing some stimulus payments onto prepaid debit cards for filers that chose to receive their refund through that method.For the majority of prepaid debit card holders there is nothing more to do as the stimulus payment will be deposited to their account. If your customer no longer has access to their debit card, we encourage them to visit https://turbodebitcard.intuit.com

Ptm0216

If my father mistakenly claimed me as a dependent and I am not, will he have to amend his tax return? I am a 25 and not a full time student. I was unemployed last year but living with my girlfriend. 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If your father mistakenly claimed you as a dependent for 2019, he will have to file an amended return to correct it. Unfortunately, the IRS is not processing paper returns at this time, and all amended returns are mail-in paper,  so it could be a while before the amended return is processed.

If you want a stimulus payment in 2019, he must amend his return and you would need to file a 2019 federal return either through TurboTax or through the IRS Non-Filers site once the amended return has been processed.

The stimulus payment is an advance on a tax credit for the 2020 tax year. If you are claimed as a dependent in 2019, but not in 2020, you will not receive a stimulus payment this year but will receive one when you file your taxes next year. 

@Ptm0216

• My 2019 income tax return was sent to my savings account. My stimulus check was scheduled to be deposited on April 15th. It never posted so I called my bank. They said the stimulus was sent as a checkings deposit so all of the people who had their savings account on file, had their stimulus rejected. The person I spoke to at the bank, said the IRS would redeposit the payment as a savings deposit. However, everything Ive read, says the IRS will be mailing rejected payments? I dont know if this situation is different. I didnt recieve my information letter because we moved since filing our taxes. I went to the post office and they said they dont forward IRS mail. I contacted my old landlord and he said there was mail that came to my previous address and he took it to the post office. I dont know if we are waiting on a direct deposit, a check, or if my check was sent and the landlord sent it back. My information on the Get My Paymet tool hasnt updated since saying the check was scheduled to direct deposit on April 15th. Hoping for some answers here please.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies