turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kzdy92

Why is turbotax showing my 1040 Schedule A line 5a value to be 131,000, when i only pay about 7,500 $ in state income tax?

I tried to ask turbotax support this question, but after 45 minutes they couldnt figure it out and hung up on me. Does anyone know the answer? Everything seems filled out correctly on my end. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Why is turbotax showing my 1040 Schedule A line 5a value to be 131,000, when i only pay about 7,500 $ in state income tax?

Go back to where you entered your income which included state income taxes withheld, such as your W-2 or a Form 1099.  There is probably an incorrect amount of state taxes withheld or a misplaced decimal point or a comma entered instead of a decimal point.

kzdy92

I think I figured it out .. on my W2, in box 14, there is taxes withheld for Oregon State Transit tax and Oregon Paid leave, along with the wages subject to Oregon State Transit Tax and Oregon Paid Leave in box 14 . I guess i miscategorized the wages as taxes. I recategorized the wages as "Other" and now it seems 1040 Schedule Line 5a is more correct. 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

It looks as if you have resolved this particular issue. You can post again if you still have a question.

Note that you can view your entire return or just your 1040 form before you e-file to see how your taxes were calculated and to preview the forms that TurboTax has prepared from your entries:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account
  2. Open or continue your return
  3. Select Tax Tools from the menu (if you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner)
  4. With the Tax Tools menu open, you can then:
    • Preview your entire return: Select Print Center and then Print, save or preview this year's return (you may be asked to register or pay first if you choose this option)
    • View only your 1040 form: Select Tools. Next, select View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu

See this help article for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Schedule A, Line 5a really had me stumped too.  But I finally figured mine out.  This line includes W2 and 1099-R state taxes paid, as you'd expect, but it also includes SOME Estimated Taxes Paid as described below.

Includes - Estimated taxes paid in the current year for a prior year (like 2022 Q4 taxes paid in Jan 2023)

Includes - Estimated taxes paid in the current year for the current year (like 2023 Q1, Q2, and Q3 taxes paid in 2023)

Excludes - Estimated taxes paid for the current year, but paid after the year ends (like 2023 Q4 taxes paid in January 2024)

Hope this helps!

Schedule A, Line 5a really had me stumped too.  But I finally figured mine out.  This line includes W2 and 1099-R state taxes paid, as you'd expect, but it also includes SOME Estimated Taxes Paid as described below.

Includes - Estimated taxes paid in the current year for a prior year (like 2022 Q4 taxes paid in Jan 2023)

Includes - Estimated taxes paid in the current year for the current year (like 2023 Q1, Q2, and Q3 taxes paid in 2023)

Excludes - Estimated taxes paid for the current year, but paid after the year ends (like 2023 Q4 taxes paid in January 2024)

Hope this helps!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies