Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cimeier
Returning Member

Why is TurboTax asking for my wife's AGI if we have always filed jointly and what the IRS wants is the joint return AGI??

Filed my 2023 taxes yesterday, and when asked the AGI for last year's return, I entered the amount in the AMENDED 2022 return that I needed to file.

My 2023 was swiftly rejected because of this... Searched this community and realized that the IRS was expecting the WRONG AGI, from the initially submitted 2022 return, instead of the final, correct value in the amended return.

TurboTax handled this very well; as soon as I ran it, it quickly identified the issue, but instead of asking for the 2022 AGI from our initial joint tax return, it very specifically asked for my wife's 2022 AGI. It just does not make any sense to ask for an individual's AGI if a tax return was submitted jointly, right?

This should be fixed, as it was initially very confusing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Why is TurboTax asking for my wife's AGI if we have always filed jointly and what the IRS wants is the joint return AGI??

If you filed a joint return for 2022 the amount on line 11 of your 2022 Form 1040 is the same amount for each spouse.   Whatever you entered for your own AGI is also to be entered as your spouse's AGI.   If you amended then the AGI might not be in the system.  When you encounter problems with AGI, always try using "zero" to see if zero will let you e-file.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies