Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my school district number not working?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

You could be having issue with your school district if you are located in a non-taxable district. If the district's income tax rate is 0.00%, it does not need to be filed. 

If you are located in Ohio, please enter your address in The Ohio School District Tax Finder. If you are located in another state and cannot confirm the school district rate, comment back and I can assist you with a link specifically for your state. 

If your school district is listed at a 0% tax rate, you do not have to file a school district return. 

To remove a school district tax return, please follow these steps:

1. Open your tax return.
  2. Click on Tools.
  3. Click on Delete a Form
  4. Scroll down to your state forms and look for the school district form you need to remove and click Delete
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I live in a school district in Ohio that has a 0% tax rate, but I do not have the option to delete a form.  It won't let me file until this is resolved.  Please advise.  

-Melissa

PattiF
Expert Alumni

The Ohio tax return requires a school district number even when you don't live in a community that has a school district tax.

The Ohio Department of Taxation provides a lookup tool that will find your school district code by entering your nine digit zip code.

To access Ohio's lookup tool visit https://thefinder.tax.ohio.gov/StreamlineSalesTaxWeb/ZipLookup/LookupByZip.aspx?taxType=taxsummary

I am caught in a loop with my Ohio tax form - 

I am in the process of trying to finish my taxes, but when I put in the proper district code from the state website, I am told it is not a taxing district.  When I enter nothing, I am told I cannot enter more than one district.  How do I get out of this loop?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

You could be having issue with school district taxes if you are located in a non-taxable district. If the district's income tax rate is 0.00%, it does not need to be filed and the form should be deleted from your return. 

Per the State of Ohio, only individuals that receive income while a resident of a taxing school district is subject to school district income tax (as stated on the Ohio link School District Income Tax). 

Before deleting the form, please enter your address in The Ohio School District Tax Finder. If your school district is listed at a 0% tax rate, then please delete the SD-100. 

To remove a school district tax return, please follow these steps:

1. Open your tax return.
  2. Click on Tools.
  4. Scroll down to your state forms and look for the SD-100 and click Delete

@murrayshannon

I have checked for recent updates to TurboTax.

I have verified my School District number a number of times.  It is a non-tax district.  But when I go to try and "delete a form" that isn't an option under Tools; I cannot delete SD-100.  Please advise.  Or if I need to file by mail, please refund my state e-filing fee.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Are you using the online or desktop version of Turbo Tax? this could be the difference on how to get to that step. For example, if you are using the desktop version then you would need to select forms and once in forms mode you then would locate the SD-100 then scroll down and select delete @Stamm2012.

Thank you for responding.  I am using the online version of TurboTax.  There seems to be no way around this Ohio school tax glitch.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If your school district is listed at a 0% tax rate, you do not have to file a school district return and delete the form. 

To delete the form, please follow these steps in TurboTax Online:

1. Open your tax return.
  2. Click on Tools.
  4. Scroll down to your state forms and look for the SD-100 form and click Delete

@murrayshannon

Thanks @EbonyA !  That seemed to solve my problem.  At least I was able to file for State of Ohio this way.  Kudos!

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

You're most welcome! Glad to hear @Stamm2012 

Hi 
I'm from NY 
I'm trying to fill up the School District sheet, but it's not working. 

The drop down menu is not working.
Thanks 
Caption.png

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

Try deleting your browser's cookies. Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ regarding How to delete cookies! If that doesn't work, try using a different browser all together. 

@isravasquez

I live in Buffalo ny and there’s not an opinion to delete a form and idk what to put for it 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies