Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dericg510

Why is my lodging perdiem taxed.

Why is the $280 I get a week for lodging perdiem taxed and can I use the hotels as a tax deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are an employee, the employer can add a flat per diem to your wages to cover your costs.  Now it is up to you to document the actual expenses and if you itemize deductions you may be able to deduct these expenses. However, only the amount in excess of 2% of your AGI is deductible and your total of your itemized deductions must exceed the standard deduction before you will see any benefits. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you are an employee, the employer can add a flat per diem to your wages to cover your costs.  Now it is up to you to document the actual expenses and if you itemize deductions you may be able to deduct these expenses. However, only the amount in excess of 2% of your AGI is deductible and your total of your itemized deductions must exceed the standard deduction before you will see any benefits. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

When an employer provides an expense allowance (per diem), instead of reimbursing the employee for his actual expenses; the IRS requires that the allowance be included on the W-2 as income. The employee then gets to deduct his actual expenses, subject  to the restrictions described by Critter#2

You may want to discuss this with your employer.  It would save your employer money if they set things up as a tax-free accountable plan.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies