turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Winlife
Returning Member

Why is 1099-Int Box 3 refund amount drastically different than if in Box 1?

If I enter my Treasury Notes $8400 interest in box 3 from my 1099-R, I get back $1600 LESS than entering the SAME amount in Box 1 instead (let's ignore the whole state tax stuff).  Is treasury interest taxed at a much higher rate or something on short term Treasury notes? I am totally baffled what is going on and searching on the internet has produced no answers. I wondered if TurboTax had an error or something? Or is there a reason other than the state taxation that Box 3 was created? Note: I always held them to maturity, but bought 3-12 month "bonds".

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, bond interest may be taxed at a higher rate than retirement income, if you are  subject to  the Net Investment Tax. Bond interest is investment income and 1099-R income is not. 

You are subject the Net Investment Tax if your income exceeds:

• Married filing jointly - $250,000
  • Married Filing Separately - $125,000
  • Single or Head of Household - $200,000
  • Qualifying Widow with child - $250,000

If your income is more modest than that, investment income more then $11,000 will disqualify you for Earned Income Credit. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That should not make a difference for federal.  When you tried it in box 1 did you delete it from box 3 (and visa versa)?  The only way to tell what changed is to look at the return before you entered the interest and then after entering it in box 1 and again after entering it in box 3.  Compare all the 1040 lines.  

Are you using the Online version?   Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return. You have to pay any fees first before you can see all the forms, etc.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies