turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does it think my wife had a break in health coverage?

Turbotax thinks my wife had a break in her HDHP in 2020, but she did not. I cannot find any way to fix this; I've been through the section three times and it keeps asking why she had a lapse, even though she did not (she's had coverage through me for over three years now(. Anyone else have this problem? How do we fix this? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MontyAz

I have the same issue.

JohnW152
Employee Tax Expert

Your issue is with the question that asks "What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [name] have on December 1, 2019?" 

Unfortunately, the question does not clarify that it is only for a small group of taxpayers and that all other taxpayers should answer "NONE".

NOTE: each spouse can have an HSA. The use of "you" below refers to whichever spouse's name was in the question above.

This question is trying to determine if you utilized the "last-month" rule in 2019 (yes, 2019). The last-month rule lets you use the full annual HSA contribution limit if you had HDHP coverage on December 1, even if you were not covered by an HDHP for all of the year. 

However, the catch is that if you used the last-month rule, the IRS requires that you stay under HDHP coverage for all of the following year (2020).

***NOTE*** This question occurs on the taxpayer who does not have an HSA, so never had a chance to tell TurboTax in the HSA interview what their HDHP coverage was for 2020.

So, the fix is this: go back to the question (at the end of the HSA interview), and: 

• If you had HDHP coverage for all of 2019, then enter NONE 
  • If you had no HDHP coverage for all of 2019, then enter NONE.
  • If you did not have an HSA in 2019, then enter NONE.
  • If you had an HSA in 2019 but did not contribute to it in 2019, then enter NONE

Only taxpayers who had their own HSA in 2019 AND who contributed to their own HSA in 2019 should answer “Family” or “Self” or “None” (which can be the right answer in some cases).

MontyAz

Well, that works but that question is poorly worded.  From all the people asking about this topic, looks like it hasn't changed in many years.

It’s still doing the same thing for the  2022 tax year. Ugh. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies