Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

becca_r6
Returning Member

Why do you not advertise the free version?

I’m very confused as to why you guys make it so difficult to find the free version. 

https://freefile.intuit.com is actually the edition that’s free and not the “free edition” which usually makes you upgrade to the deluxe and has extra fees to file state and if you choose to take it out of your tax return.  It’s very disappointing that you guys charge fees to file for those who meet the income requirements. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The "freefile" version offered through the IRS partnership cannot, by law, be advertised.  The other companies that offer it don't advertise either, right? 

The free product is indeed free for many users with upgrades for plenty of others an option or in some cases a requirement.  

Also, you know, TurboTax is a company not a charity so why would they pay money (for ads) to attract people to use a service on which they make none? 

sdm8
Level 2

This response is correct - but it still begs the question.  Why doesn't anyone advertise the free version of the software - specifically why doesn't the government advertise it?  Also, I don't think that TurboTax would really need to pay more to advertise - they would just need to put an * on the ads they already have, with a "go here for a free version, offer based on income" - or some such thing.  I'm guessing that TurboTax has probably considered doing this - for the good will it would generate - and then decided that the lost revenue from people not buying their most basic software package would not be worth it.  And the lost revenue would probably be substantial.  

sdm8
Level 2

As I typed up the last answer, I wondered, what did TurboTax make in 2019 - and I found this interesting article: https://www.propublica.org/article/inside-turbotax-20-year-fight-to-stop-americans-from-fi[product k... An interesting quote from it is: "But the success of TurboTax rests on a shaky foundation, one that could collapse overnight if the U.S. government did what most wealthy countries did long ago and made tax filing simple and free for most citizens."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies