Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Robbie418

Why do online when I can order the boxed version cheaper.

I can buy on amazon for $39.86 and e file state for $19.99 for a total of 59.85, but using online version it will be 71.98.  Not a lot I guess but still wondering.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sounds like a good deal.  It doesn't have to be a boxed version; Amazon also sells downloads. 

Moreover, the desktop product (CD/download) is a more fully-featured product.  It can handle all the forms and has Forms Mode for viewing/editing forms during preparation.   The desktop product can also prepare multiple returns. 

The Online Deluxe cannot prepare Schedule D,E,F, enter K-1, or a Sched. C with expenses.  It does not have Forms Mode, and like you mentioned, a state return is an extra fee.  Online Deluxe can only prepare 1 Federal return per account per year.

When purchased from Amazon, Deluxe comes in 2 versions--Fed & State combo, and a version that is Federal-only so be careful.

NOTE:   You mentioned the state efile fee of 19.99.   I just confirmed that is what Amazon is displaying.  However, the current state efile fee is 24.99.   (except free for New York).  There is no fee if you print and mail the state returns.

I will notify a Moderator to see why TurboTax is showing a 19.99 state efile fee at Amazon.  It will be during the day, however, before I have more into on that discrepancy.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Sounds like a good deal.  It doesn't have to be a boxed version; Amazon also sells downloads. 

Moreover, the desktop product (CD/download) is a more fully-featured product.  It can handle all the forms and has Forms Mode for viewing/editing forms during preparation.   The desktop product can also prepare multiple returns. 

The Online Deluxe cannot prepare Schedule D,E,F, enter K-1, or a Sched. C with expenses.  It does not have Forms Mode, and like you mentioned, a state return is an extra fee.  Online Deluxe can only prepare 1 Federal return per account per year.

When purchased from Amazon, Deluxe comes in 2 versions--Fed & State combo, and a version that is Federal-only so be careful.

NOTE:   You mentioned the state efile fee of 19.99.   I just confirmed that is what Amazon is displaying.  However, the current state efile fee is 24.99.   (except free for New York).  There is no fee if you print and mail the state returns.

I will notify a Moderator to see why TurboTax is showing a 19.99 state efile fee at Amazon.  It will be during the day, however, before I have more into on that discrepancy.

A Moderator says his desktop program is also showing the state efile fee is 19.99 at the moment.   It's possible there is an early filing season discount as there currently is on other TurboTax products.    Whether or not it will switch to 24.99 later in filing season is not clear.  In the meantime, there remains a discrepancy between what is posted at the TurboTax website and what is posted at Amazon.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies