Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I need Form 8995-A?

Greetings.  TurboTax is telling me that I need to wait for form 8995A in order to complete my return and file.  However, I do not have a business of any sort.  Why would I need form 8995?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

this reply was more helpful than the initial entry, about minor mutual fund REIT.  thanks!

View solution in original post

52 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Did you receive a K-1 from a partnership or S-Corporation?  That could also trigger the Qualified Business Income (QBI) Credit (Form 8995A).

If not, see if the form appears in your list of forms and delete it.  To do this, please follow these steps:

TurboTax Online

1. While in your return, click on Tax Tools > Tools (in the black bar at the side of your screen).  
  2. In the Tools Center, under Other helpful links click on Delete a form.
  3. Click Delete next to the form you want to delete and follow the onscreen instructions. 
  4. Once you have finished deleting the desired form(s) click the Continue with My Return box (in the lower right of your screen).

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar
  2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click on the form you wish to open and delete.
  3. Click on the Delete Form box at the bottom of the screen.
  4. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.  

I had the same issue.  Thanks for the advice however Turbotax just keeps adding the form back.  It looks like I have a small amount of income from a mutual fund that is giving me a $2 deduction that is being reported on this form.  I guess I will wait for the form.   Good to know how to look at Forms view.  Been ages since I have looked at the forms view and forgot it existed.

this reply was more helpful than the initial entry, about minor mutual fund REIT.  thanks!

See also this question, which has many people commenting (but no real solution...).

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You will "...Use Form 8995-A to figure your qualified business income (QBI) deduction. Include the following schedules (their specific instructions are shown later), as appropriate:

• Schedule A (Form 8995-A), Specified Service Trades or Businesses (SSTB);

• Schedule B (Form 8995-A), Aggregation of Business Operations;

• Schedule C (Form 8995-A), Loss Netting and Carryforward;

• Schedule D (Form 8995-A), Special Rules for Patrons of Agricultural or Horticultural Cooperatives..." Ref IRS Instructions for Form 8995-A (2019)Instructions for Form 8995-A

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same issue with TurboTax adding the form back in.  I apparently have a $20 deduction from a REIT in a stock fund.  I'll just wait for the online form to publish.  Thanks for the help.

I'm preparing to file taxes for my deceased mother and when reviewing the forms for filing before I hit send, Form 8995 popped up and produced a WTF moment.  At least I can file since I can use the "Simplified Computation", but having this form titled Qualified Business Income Deduction when she clearly never had a business of any kind is beyond misleading for mutual fund dividends and capital gains.  And the net result is zero anyway.  What a waste.

I'm using Turbotax CD version and I accidentally created an aggregated business (Form 8995 Schedule B) and now I can't delete it.  How can I go back and say I don't want to aggregate so that I can get rid of the form?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

To delete   Form 8995-A  follow these steps: 

• With TurboTax open select Tax Tools in the left panel. 

• Select tools 

• Select delete forms 

• Select delete on the line for Form 8995-A

• Select  Delete Selected Form  

Deleting this for didn't work.

When in the hell am I going to be able to file my taxes?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Do you report any of the following on your tax return?

• Self-employment income (including 1099-Misc reported income),
  • K-1,
  • 1099-Div box 5 income.

One of these items is generating the IRS 8995-A form.

See this TurboTax Help.

I was able to fix my 1099 form and that took care of it

Steve89

I'm having the same trouble trying to disaggregate the combined businesses and eliminate schedule B. You spoke of the 1099, how did that solve your problem?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Forms  8995-A is used to calculate your Qualified Business Income Deduction QBID.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies