Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chyhart
Returning Member

Why do i have to use Deluxe? - Update : I dont

What reason is requiring me to use Deluxe? School Loans? The final charge is a whopping $103,  $54 to file my Federal and $49 to file my state? Why? Just because i have school loans? This is nuts. I think i'll have to figure out how my Grandpa did taxes pen and paper style because this is crazy, $103..... what in the eff Turbo Tax. This stuff is such a rip off. Just to get back OUR money. Biggest issue is really the government and irs, it should be a job they offer to handle all tax affairs for people, and not further profit off of people who are desperately awaiting the life line that is their refund.. $103, disgusting. 

UPDATE:

I was hesitant to waste my time but figured i might as well try to save money. So, I started over FROM SCRATCH! I chose FREE filing. Along the way the website tried to make me think i needed the pro $29 version. I dont. It's tricky though, they grey out the free option so it seems like at first glance it's not an available option. It is.  I kept on choosing FREE! Realized along the way I missed a couple items cause my school loans switched servicers and i never got the 1098E from the new servicer, and i missed inputting my auto insurance medical coverage because that was never sent to me either (after some internet sleuthing and a few phone calls later i got all the info i needed) . So i just did away with all fee's and got more money for my efforts. 
It's crazy that if you did need the deluxe it would charge for that, then also charge another $50 to file the state returns which they dont warn you about at the start, and i've read thats a lot of peoples gripe, the lack of transparency from Turbo. 
I win this day. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Help Article here which goes into reasons why you may have to upgrade.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Agree and I use premium but believe me its easier than pen and paper, I did that for many years.....

chyhart
Returning Member

UPDATE:

I was hesitant to waste my time but figured i might as well try to save money. So, I started over FROM SCRATCH! I chose FREE filing. Along the way the website tried to make me think i needed the pro $29 version. I dont. It's tricky though, they grey out the free option so it seems like at first glance it's not an available option. It is.  I kept on choosing FREE! Realized along the way I missed a couple items cause my school loans switched servicers and i never got the 1098E from the new servicer, and i missed inputting my auto insurance medical coverage because that was never sent to me either (after some internet sleuthing and a few phone calls later i got all the info i needed) . So i just did away with all fee's and got more money for my efforts. 
It's crazy that if you did need the deluxe it would charge for that, then also charge another $50 to file the state returns which they dont warn you about at the start, and i've read thats a lot of peoples gripe, the lack of transparency from Turbo. 
I win this day. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies