Why do i have estimated payments for next year

I have had to make estimated tax payments in previous years, but I don't understand why I'll need to make them again this year.

We'll automatically include 4 quarterly 1040-ES vouchers with your printout if you didn't withhold or pay enough tax this year. We do this to head off a possible underpayment penalty on next year's taxes.

You may get these vouchers if you're self-employed or had an uncharacteristic spike in your income this year. For example, you sold stock or took a large distribution from your retirement plan. 

You're not required to make estimated tax payments; we're just suggesting it based on the info in your return. If you feel they're not needed for next year's taxes, you can shred them.

But if enough was withheld and we're actually receiving a tax refund, why do I still have quarterly vouchers?