Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did we receive a check for only $698 when the total for our returns were $785?

Your answer was rediculous and didn't even begin to answer my question. Please answer my question above.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why did we receive a check for only $698 when the total for our returns were $785?

@alaynapeters wrote:
Your answer was rediculous and didn't even begin to answer my question. Please answer my question above.

This is the only posting I see for you in this forum, so I can't see the answer you referred to that you didn't like.  Perhaps you used a different username for your original question.    In any case, here's some info.  No one can know your specific situation, but we can tell you some common causes.

You said "our returns" plural.  Are you expecting both a Federal refund and state refund?   If so, they will not be in the same check. They come at different times from different tax agencies.   

You mentioned a check instead of direct deposit.   Who was the check for $698 from?   Was it from the US Treasury, the state tax agency, or a third-party bank?   If the $698 check was from the US Treasury, are you also expecting a check of $87 from the state for a state refund?

Also another possible scenario I'll mention for completeness that won't apply to you if you're using Free Edition but would apply to someone who used a paid product:

You appear to be using Free Edition (at least that's what is indicated underneath your question above.)   If so, there shouldn't have been any TurboTax fees.    Or did you use a paid product and chose to have any TurboTax fees paid out of your Federal refund?  

If your situation is not explained by having both Federal and state refunds and still awaiting one, then if the IRS reduced your Federal refund, they should send you a letter in 3 weeks or so with an explanation.  Or if a state tax agency changes a state refund amount, they should also send a letter.

This is the only post  you have made under this username so don't know what other answers you got.  Could it be for a state refund?  Federal and state are completely separate and come at different times.  At the end Turbo Tax just shows you the combined federal and state but that is only for you own information.   If the IRS or state adjusted your return they will mail you a letter explaining it.   

Or were you having any fees deducted from your refund?  

We know nothing about the specifics of your situation.  Were Turbotax fees taken out for state return and state e-filing?  What does the IRS refund site show? If different you should receive a letter of explanation.  If you had a state return and the refund received differs from what the return shows contact them.  Turbotax never receives information about a refund being changed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies