Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why did I get response "Our records indicate that you are not entitled to efile one or more formsets." When I tried to efile?

Bottom Line Up Front: It seems TT isn't always charging for State before it lets you attempt to E-file. Double-check that you actually paid for State before you try to E-file it, and if you didn't delete and re-fill the State return.

@ghlee's post sums up my situation well:

@ghlee wrote:

I read "delete state and redo",

by clicking state from left side, I could delete and I just did again.

After short reviews, TurboTax was asking me to pay $40 for state efiling.

I recently paid only $40 Deluxe plan (normally $50, discount $10) for federal,

and it looked like to proceed, but "I was not entitled to efile"

I'm not sure how much total cost to file federal and state.

IMO, My case, Turbotax wanted $40 for federal and $40 for state.

e-filing was proceeding without charging for state. 

I had the same thing except for Federal I paid for Premier ($70 currently) the first time through, plus "Max Benefits (another $50, total first order $120). I thought I was buying State at that point, but it doesn't seem like it charged me- at least the order summary/total in my email didn't show the cost of State. TT let me through to attempt to file but gave the subject error over and over ("Our records indicate... not entitled to efile..."). What fixed my issue was signing out and back in, deleting my State return, and re-doing the whole State return. After that it checked and put me back to the checkout page to pay for State. After I had my aneurism, I checked my order summary email and sure enough, apparently I didn't pay for State the first time. Order total should have been $160. So I paid for State, and then everything worked great and let me E-file both Federal and State.

Why did I get response "Our records indicate that you are not entitled to efile one or more formsets." When I tried to efile?

So i figured id post this up since i got this error. after looking at the table of forms turbo-tax suggested of date of availability. i live in AZ and im a 100% sure this is why im getting the error.

Form AZ-8879, E-file Signature Authorization available   -  unsupported

without the efile signature authorization form the state can't be sent.

However....on the Arizona Department of revenue it states at the top in blue..

"Due to heavy submissions volume and e-file season opening two weeks later than usual, ADOR is actively working towards accepting and processing individual income tax returns as soon as possible. We will inform taxpayers when their return has been accepted for processing. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience."

IT would nice if Turbo tax could push out email notification of when each state is receiving e-files. As a customer for 6yrs i shouldn't have to try to delete and re-add my state later.
WESGOAD

Token 747661 - Indiana state will not efile

I got the same error, I triple check and everything was correct, I paid $40 for the state and try resubmitting again and now it wants me to pay again for the state. Please help.

The same thing happened to me, I called customer service and they couldn't help, they said I had to pay again to file the state taxes. I'm so mad right now.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@WESGOAD

Thank you for sending the token number.

In your return, I see two issues. They are not causing the formset issue but you will want to fix them before you file. Then we'll get to the formset issue.

#1. On your 1099-G for unemployment benefits, you are missing the following:

Payer's Zip code

Payer's State

Payer's City

Payer's address

Payer's name

#2. The bank routing number is invalid for state filing.

Indiana says,

"Do not use the routing number from a deposit slip. Use the routing number from a check or verify with your bank what routing number should be used for debit payments.

You can find the routing number within a string of numbers at the bottom of your checks. Make sure you are using a check and not a deposit slip, since the numbers may not be the same. For example, the routing number for a checking account might be 074100000, but the deposit slip routing number begins with 500. The first nine digits from the left(in between the special characters) on your check is the routing number. Routing numbers are always nine digits."

I cannot see your bank routing number (it is X'd out in the file you sent for privacy purposes), but it appears that TurboTax does not think that the bank routing number from the federal return is valid for Indiana. See this website for bank routing numbers in Indiana to see if this helps.

Formsets

In another thread, a number of users have addressed their experiences with this formset issue. The main solution was to delete the state and re-add it (I assume that you have seen this based on your comment; if not, look for GabiU's comment at this TurboTax Community thread on page 2).

However, several of the users who were asked to pay for the state when they re-added the state, found out that they had only paid for the federal return and not the state, that is, when TurboTax asked them to pay, TurboTax only charged for the federal return, not the state. 

When the taxpayers paid for the state, then they were able to add it and the e-file went through just fine. See this TurboTax Community thread (3 pages).

I don't know what you have paid, but you can see what you owe by opening your tax return (I assume you are using the Online product). On the left, click on Tax Tools, then underneath it click on Tools. In the center, then click on the blue-green box that says "My Fees".

If you paid, say, $40 previously, this probably was only for the federal return, and another $40 is due for the state.

I do not know why TurboTax apparently charged some taxpayers only for the federal return and not the federal and state, but deleting the state, re-adding it and paying for the state, allowed them to file the return with a problem.

Let us know if this works for you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Replying like the community manager states on the first page of this thread. I am getting the "Our records indicate that you are not entitled to efile one or more formsets." message. Token number: (removed)

Update:
I decided to try one last time and this time, yes, removing my state finally worked. And I did have to reinput my credit card. I was able to e-file after doing these steps. Yippie. TurboTax has a bug in their system and they really need to get it sorted out. Tax season is frustrating already, and you shouldn't add to the headache TurboTax. Especially during these...unprecedented times. Good luck, my fellow Americans.

Mariod914

Hi everyone I had the same issue I clicked state and clicked delete you can always delete state you cant clear and start over after u pay but u can always re do state click delete after you click state and where it says new York or whatever state ur in next to it has a button that says delete click delete and re do your residency 

TurMANbo

Just had this issue. Fixed by clicking on state return and deleting it. Continue on until is ask if you want to include the state in your taxes again. Confirm you do, let it transfer info over complete the state again. Once it finishes file both together and will go through this time.

I notice the first time it did not charge me for the state just federal. I believe that was the issue.

phv
Level 1

I had the same issue with the same message. I went and deleted state and refilled that portion and my forms went thru the 2nd time. 

2/22 Update:

I figured I was charged twice ($43.55 after taxes) as a mistake and called Turbo Tax customer service today which BTW is not helpful. It's been an hour and I'm still on the phone with them. Prob spoke to the rep for a total of 10 mins and now it's been radio silent. Besides that fact after doing some research on my own it turns out you will have to pay $43.55 to file Deluxe Federal, clear state and after filling out the state portion pay another $43.55 to file. So yes, you'll be charged twice. This is very confusing as it is not clear when I the summary of fees was presented to me. 

Jlperry83

I have already reset my whole return and still have same message

I have the same problem. I’ve tried all the suggestions listed earlier and waited a couple days and my returns still won’t go through. I would use another platform but I already paid. PLEASE please get this fixed soon. 

Mariod914

Hi , can you go to where it says state on the left click it , and then to the right on the page click where it says your state (new York ) or so and it will say delete delete it and re do it

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Formsets

In another thread, a number of users have addressed their experiences with this formset issue. The main solution was to delete the state and re-add it (look for GabiU's comment at this TurboTax Community thread on page 2).

However, several of the users who were asked to pay for the state when they re-added the state, found out that they had only paid for the federal return and not the state, that is, when TurboTax asked them to pay, TurboTax only charged for the federal return, not the state. 

When the taxpayers paid for the state, then they were able to add it and the e-file went through just fine. See this TurboTax Community thread (3 pages).

I don't know what you have paid, but you can see what you owe by opening your tax return (I assume you are using the Online product). On the left, click on Tax Tools, then underneath it click on Tools. In the center, then click on the blue-green box that says "My Fees".

If you paid, say, $40 previously, this probably was only for the federal return, and another $40 is due for the state.

I do not know why TurboTax apparently charged some taxpayers only for the federal return and not the federal and state, but deleting the state, re-adding it and paying for the state, allowed them to file the return with a problem.

Let us know if this works for you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lue

It’s because it only charged for federal return. You have to go to state on the menu on the left. 
once screen comes up with state return, to the right of where it says get started there’s 3 dots. Press that and it will let you delete it there. You gotta delete the state one and start again. That will prompt their system to charge you for the state return (another 40 dollars) and then you can e file. Just worked for me. I guess the error was cuz you only paid for one and systems trying to send both. Really frustrating!!! Literally wasted 3 hours!!!!!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies