Did you cash in a savings bond and have a 1099-INT to report?
When you get to the 1099-INT section, there are many banks that are not in the list. You don't have to use that search line to look for your bank. That's looking for banks that can import documents. Instead, on that same page, scroll way down on the bottom right and click a gray button "I'll type it in myself."
Then on the next page, you can enter the name of your bank.
Is your interest in Box 3? To see all the boxes of your 1099-INT, look for a little checkbox that says "My form has more info...". When you click that checkbox, more data boxes will appear.
Here's a shortcut to get back to that place:
- With your return open, click in the top right on Search.
- In the Search line enter 1099-INT without quotes and click the magnifying glass icon.
- Then click Jump to 1099-INT.
- Next screen: Did you receive any interest income? Yes
- Next screen: Let's get your tax info. Do not use the search line to look for your bank. Scroll down to bottom right and click "I'll type it in myself."
- Then you'll be on the screen to enter your 1099-INT.
- Does your form have Box 3 interest? If so, click the little checkbox "My form has more info..." to see more data boxes.
Does the receipt tell you how much of the proceeds was due to the interest? i.e., does it tell you how much of it was interest?
Normally savings bond interest is reported in Box 3 of a 1099-INT. Does the receipt mention Box 3? When you expand the number of boxes on that screen, you should see Box 3.
You may have to ask the bank if you were supposed to receive a 1099-INT. Or does your receipt say that it is a "Substitute 1099-INT?"
I don't know why you didn't get a 1099-INT, unless that is some kind of "Substitute 1099-INT" that the bank uses.
On that 1099-INT screen, online TurboTax shouldn't ask you for the bank's EIN number or your account number. Do you need me to make a screen image of what the 1099-INT entry screen looks like and Box 3?
Its telling me "schedule B: Box 1 regular interest- enter the amount enter amount from 1099int form. Box 1, 3 or 8 for untitled"
Leave any boxes blank that you don't need. Savings bond interest is in Box 3.
It's possible to need more than one box if you have other items to report from that bank. Did you get other bank interest besides the savings bond interest? I won't know if you also received any regular bank interest on your deposit account. Box 1 is usually for interest on a bank checking/savings account, CD, etc.
It says "untitled" because you haven't yet entered the bank name.
Still have questions?Make a post