turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why are we having to pay to Efile our state taxes?

After paying close to $$$ for TurboTax H&B I see I can efile for free with the Feds but it is wanting $25 to efile my state.  Why?  It doesn't cost TT anything any different to efile with the Feds so why make us pay to do the State?  All they are doing is passing on the electronic information.  The State isn't charging them so why is TT charging us?   We pay for the program so why not let us use it to file since we paid for it?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I cannot explain the why since I do not work for Intuit. 

There has been a state e-file fee when using the TurboTax desktop editions for at least the last 20 years.

The e-file fee can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

@ Cindy62707  asked in regards to state efile fee:  "The State isn't charging them so why is TT charging us? We pay for the program so why not let us use it to file since we paid for it?"

Likely for more profit.  TurboTax does incur underlying expenses for maintaining its efile system:  programming, network infrastructure, etc.  But at the end of the day, it does add to the overall profit.   I suppose an alternative would be just to increase the overall price of the base product.   It's kinda like buying an airplane ticket and then having to pay $30-40 per checked bag.

There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.   There is also no state efile fee for NY state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies