Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I having to pay back $3k in premium tax credits when my income was virtually the same as 2022? I only made $3500 more in 2023

why do I owe $3k in premium tax credits this year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Why am I having to pay back $3k in premium tax credits when my income was virtually the same as 2022? I only made $3500 more in 2023

If you had health insurance from the marketplace, when you applied for the insurance, you gave healthcare.gov an estimate of how much income you would receive in 2023.  They used that amount to calculate how much of the insurance premium would be covered by the tax credit and how much would be your amount to pay.   So...you had some monthly amounts to pay, and the rest of the cost of having that insurance was paid by the government program.

If you ended up making a higher income than you told them you would receive, they re-calculate how much should have been paid by the program and how much should have been paid by you.   And if your own share of the cost should have been more, they get it back on your income tax return.   

If you actually had less income, you could even get some of the share you paid back on your tax return.

From Healthcare.gov:

If you're enrolled in a Marketplace plan and your income or household changes, update your application as soon as possible.

These changes — like higher or lower income, adding or losing household members, or getting offers of other health coverage — may affect the coverage or savings you’re eligible for.  After you finish applying or enrolling, you may be asked to submit documents to confirm your income.

Discover which changes to report.

Learn how to report changes.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies