turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgyakubo

Why am i being charged for state filing when i purchased the premier version of TurboTax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why am i being charged for state filing when i purchased the premier version of TurboTax

There is a lot of confusion about this. For the Desktop version it's a free download of one state PROGRAM, not returns filed. You can prepare unlimited federal and unlimited state returns. Some people need to file in more than one state so they have to buy another state program. You can print and mail the state for free or each state is 24.99 to efile. 

The State is $24.99 each to efile but it is free to print and mail unlimited returns. And to have the 24.99 fee deducted from your federal refund is an EXTRA 39.99 Refund Transfer fee. Or you can use a credit card and avoid the extra charge.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

There is a lot of confusion about this. For the Desktop version it's a free download of one state PROGRAM, not returns filed. You can prepare unlimited federal and unlimited state returns. Some people need to file in more than one state so they have to buy another state program. You can print and mail the state for free or each state is 24.99 to efile. 

The State is $24.99 each to efile but it is free to print and mail unlimited returns. And to have the 24.99 fee deducted from your federal refund is an EXTRA 39.99 Refund Transfer fee. Or you can use a credit card and avoid the extra charge.

jgyakubo

Thank you very much. Now I know for next year.

Oh, and try to file early.  The early discounted prices expired on March 1.  Before then it was only 19.99 to efile state.

And watch what you click on.  It's easy to accidentally click on the wrong button at the bottom to continue.  So go slow!  I'm in California and the Pay From Refund charge is 44.99 instead of 39.99.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies