turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

caryers

I have a 22 year old son that graduated college in May/2018. He is now a full- time worker since August/2018. She did not live with me at all in 2018. Can I claim him?

My son has made over $5,000 since becoming a full-time worker since August/2018.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I have a 22 year old son that graduated college in May/2018. He is now a full- time worker since August/2018. She did not live with me at all in 2018. Can I claim him?

No.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, a relationship test and residence test. They are interrelated but the rules are different for each.

For 2018, your son cannot be your QC because he did not live with you for more than half the year. 

He cannot be your Qualifying relative because his income was too high (more than $4150).

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Who is "she"  Your son?  Someone else?
Hal_Al
Level 15

No.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, a relationship test and residence test. They are interrelated but the rules are different for each.

For 2018, your son cannot be your QC because he did not live with you for more than half the year. 

He cannot be your Qualifying relative because his income was too high (more than $4150).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies