Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which version?

This is the first year I will need to file a return.  Normally my wife handles it.   I will have pension, house sale, 401, interest paid and receive, and maybe college expenses for a child.  Can I use the free online version to do the taxes/filing?  If not, which version would I need?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Which version?

No, you will not be able to use the Free Edition.   You do not have a "simple" tax return that can be prepared using the Free Edition.   Only very simple tax returns can be prepared using the Free Edition.

Since you sold a house, if you use the online software you will need to use Premier.   If you use the desktop software (CD/download) you can use any version, since all versions of the CD/download have all the forms and schedules you will need.

You do not mention why your spouse will not be preparing the tax returns as in the past.     ("Normally my wife handles it...") Did something happen?  Is she ill?   Did she pass away?   Did you divorce?   Share some details---without any of your personal information like SSN, etc. --- so that we can help more.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Which version?

We separated this year.  She made a payment in April that zeroed out what we owed for the year on both her account and my account.  The payment was recorded (documented) only on her account - not mine - since we haven't filed yet (joint or individual) and she made the payment.  From what I've read on the IRS website, it will be recorded (documented) to my account once a filing has been posted.  She filed an extension at the same time, but hasn't filed a return yet.  When I reached out to her a few weeks ago, she told me that she needed to file, but nothing has been done yet.  The IRS website suggests that a filing has to be received by October 15 or you could be penalized.  So I'm a little nervous about it not getting filed on time.  Usually she finishes the taxes by the April deadline.

Which version?

Your other thread:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-filing-as-married-jointly-vs-married-single/01...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies