Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which TurboTax

I thought I had researched adequately which TurboTax to purchase this year, but now after purchasing, I'm having doubts. My husband has a W-2 and I will be an independent contractor for the first time with 1099s. We will itemize deductions. I would normally use TurboTax Deluxe, but I read that if I wanted to deduct expenses from my 1099 income, I needed to get Home & Business. The questions it's asking imply that I have to file as an individual and that I need to create W-2s or other forms for others. I don't need to do that. Have I wasted money and need to buy Deluxe after all? Can I deduct mileage and business expenses there? TIA

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Which TurboTax

Home & Business will work for you, but you could have bought Deluxe.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms, you just get more help in the higher versions.

In the Window's Home & Business Desktop program when you start a new return you get 2 choices. To prepare an Individual Tax Return or to prepare W2s or 1099s to give to your employees and sub contractors.

Click the big blue button to Start a New Return or go up to the top black menu bar first item, File-New Tax Return.
Then on the next screen it asks What would you like to do?

If you get a screen with 2 choices, Check the first circle that says Start a New Individual Tax Return.

To report your self employment income you will fill out schedule C in your personal 1040 tax return and pay SE self employment Tax if you have a profit.

You need to report all your income whether or not you get a 1099 for it. Actually you can enter your total income as Cash or General income instead of entering the actual 1099. Only the total goes to Schedule C. You will need to keep good records. You may get a 1099NEC or 1099K at the end of the year if someone pays you more than $600 but you need to report all your income no matter how small. You might want to use Quicken or QuickBooks to keep track of your income and expenses.

You fill out Schedule C under the Business tab.
Go to Business tab-Continue. Then pick I'll choose what I work on
First item, Business Income and Expenses click Start or Update
Profit or Loss from Business, click Start or Update.

You use your own name, address and ssn or business name and EIN if you have one. You should say you use the Cash Accounting Method and all income is At Risk.

Turbo Tax automatically figures out the self employment tax for you. Self Employment tax (Scheduled SE) is automatically generated if a person has $400 or more of net profit from self-employment. You pay 15.3% SE tax on 92.35% of your Net Profit (If it is greater than $400). The 15.3% self employed SE Tax is to pay both the employer part and employee part of Social Security and Medicare (FICA). So you get social security credit for it when you retire.

Which TurboTax

If you get stuck and have questions I have the Windows Home & Business program too so I can make you screen shots.

melwha

Which TurboTax

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I tried to log in to say thank you, and I was locked out for several days while Intuit deleted a Mint account.

I had clicked on the wrong option from the start. Once I went back in and selected Individual Return, then I was fine. I misunderstand the terminology that they were using since we file jointly and it said individual...duh on me! I'm not used to there being two options, and I did not need the second since I have no employees to create forms for. 

Thanks again for your response!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies