Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which TurboTax version should I purchase?

I run an S-Corporation and I want to prepare my personal tax return as well.  Should I purchase TT Home & Business ($120) or TT Business ($160)?  I do not have any investments or rental properties.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

you need two programs. TT Business to do the S-Corp (windows only computer)  and then one of the following desktop versions for your 1040 (you can do your personal return online rather than using a desktop version but some of the online can't handle the k-1 from the S-Corp)

desktop versions:

Basic

deluxe

premier

home and business

all the desktop versions handle the same forms but more help is provided by the higher versions - if you need to do a personal state return, I don't know if that can be added to the Basic version. 

minimum system requirements for windows OS

Operating System

Windows 8.1 or higher 

Administrator rights are required to install and run TurboTax.

Processor: Pentium 4 or Athlon or later

Hard Drive Space

1 GB for TurboTax (plus up to 4.5 GB for Microsoft .NET 4.5.2 if not already installed

RAM

2 GB or more recommended

Internet connection

1 Mbps modem (broadband connection highly recommended). Required for product activation, software updates and optional online features

Monitor resolution: 1024x768 or higher recommended

To view your tax forms onscreen, you'll need Adobe Reader 11 or higher (plus a Windows-compatible printer if you want to print paper copies).

You can use ANY of the downloaded versions for the personal return ... if you don't have a state choose Basic and if you do then Deluxe or better will work. ( You can add a state to the basic however it is cheaper to just get Deluxe).   If you choose the ONLINE version instead you will need the Premier version to handle the K-1 form. 

2021 TURBOTAX

CD/DOWNLOAD (This requires a full PC or Mac—-cannot be used on a mobile device)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

You can also purchase the CD/download from various retailers such as Costco, Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Staples, Sam’s Club, etc. etc. etc.  but be aware that Deluxe versions bought from others are sold with AND without the state program so pay attention. 

This link Where can I obtain authentic TurboTax software? has a list of authorized TurboTax resellers.

When you use desktop software, there is an additional fee to e-file a state return.  You can avoid that fee if you print, sign and mail the state return.  The state e-file fee is $19.99 and increases in March.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Although the downloaded program becomes available every year sometime in  November with the online following sometime  in December  they are NOT fully operational programs ... they are only preliminary versions until the IRS issues all final forms and regulations.  The final program and the state programs are never fully operational until late January at the earliest.  

http://taxpreparationsoftware.com/

ANY tax software released by any company prior to about January 15 is only released for marketing and market share.  No program is complete and ready to file until the IRS approves their final forms and then individually reviews each program's implementation of the form.  And some tax situations aren't able to be filed until February or March, again mostly due to IRS delays.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies