Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Whether or Not to File SSI

Hey there everyone! So I have a kind of complex question for this community.

So for some context, I was on SSI for disability up until April 2023. My SSI was suspended after the April payment. I started my first job in June of that year. I know that SSI isn't taxable income as long as you're not receiving any other income, which leads me to this question: Do I need to file my SSI payments in my 2023 tax return because I started working the same year, or would I not be required to report it because of the interval between the SSI payments being suspended and me joining the workforce? This is my first time filing, so I want my return to be as accurate as possible.

Also, I did file a tax extension a few days ago, so I have some extra time to figure this out. All help is greatly appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You don't include SSI no matter what your situation is.    Just file the other income you received - w-2s, 1099s. etc.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Let's back up.  Did you get ssi or  SS Social Security or SSDI Social Security Disability?  Did you get a SSA-1099 for it?

A lot of times people say ssi when they mean Social Security Income. But it's not. SSI actually stands for Supplemental Security Income not Social Security. You do not get a SSA-1099 for SSI. You do not report SSI at all.

If you SS or SSDI  or a SSA-1099 you must report it on your tax return with your other income even if it might not be taxable.  

It's SSDI, and yes, there is a 1099 form. Thanks for your explanation, it helped me out a lot! 🙂

Enter a SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM or RRB-1099 under

Federal Taxes (Personal for Home&Business)

Wages and Income

Then scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security

Then the second line - Social Security (SSA-1099. RRB-1099) - click the Start or Revisit button

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies