Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to report income from subscriptions to my Substack newsletter

I've been publishing articles on the Substack newsletter platform. Visitors can subscribe to my newsletter for free or paid. I made about $300 from paid subscriptions. Where do I report this income in TurboTax? I don't consider myself as self-employed as I don't write articles for a living.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Generally, a hobby is something done more for enjoyment than an intent to earn money.  To enter your hobby income:

• Once in your tax return, click on Federal Taxes tab
  • Choose Wages and Income
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and click Start to right of Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Click Start to right of Hobby income and expenses**

If you received a 1099-K for hobby income, click this link.

**As a hobby, you are not allowed any deductions from this income for the years 2018-2025.  The IRS doesn't allow you to deduct hobby expenses from hobby income, you must claim all hobby income and are not permitted to reduce that income by any expenses.

4 Tax Tips for Money Making Hobbies

Tax Tips for Content Creators

Keep records if your hobby becomes more of a business than a recreational pursuit.  Business owners typically use Schedule C to report profits and losses and to deduct a broad range of deductions not available to hobbyists. The IRS might consider your hobby a business when any or all of the following apply:

• The things you do to run your hobby-business, like hiring knowledgeable employees and advertising, point to your intent to make a profit.
  • You earn your livelihood from the hobby.
  • You've made a profit for at least three of the past five years.
  • You hope to make a profit from some of your business assets down the road, like animals for breeding.
  • You've made a profit from a similar business in the past.

Because the responsibility is on you to show that your hobby-business is entitled to business tax breaks, keeping detailed records will come in handy in case the IRS asks you to substantiate that you have a business rather than a hobby.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Generally, a hobby is something done more for enjoyment than an intent to earn money.  To enter your hobby income:

• Once in your tax return, click on Federal Taxes tab
  • Choose Wages and Income
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and click Start to right of Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Click Start to right of Hobby income and expenses**

If you received a 1099-K for hobby income, click this link.

**As a hobby, you are not allowed any deductions from this income for the years 2018-2025.  The IRS doesn't allow you to deduct hobby expenses from hobby income, you must claim all hobby income and are not permitted to reduce that income by any expenses.

4 Tax Tips for Money Making Hobbies

Tax Tips for Content Creators

Keep records if your hobby becomes more of a business than a recreational pursuit.  Business owners typically use Schedule C to report profits and losses and to deduct a broad range of deductions not available to hobbyists. The IRS might consider your hobby a business when any or all of the following apply:

• The things you do to run your hobby-business, like hiring knowledgeable employees and advertising, point to your intent to make a profit.
  • You earn your livelihood from the hobby.
  • You've made a profit for at least three of the past five years.
  • You hope to make a profit from some of your business assets down the road, like animals for breeding.
  • You've made a profit from a similar business in the past.

Because the responsibility is on you to show that your hobby-business is entitled to business tax breaks, keeping detailed records will come in handy in case the IRS asks you to substantiate that you have a business rather than a hobby.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you , @DawnC , for the excellent answer! I appreciate your time and expertise.

GE

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies