Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to enter FMV of Disposed Vehicle

I recently disposed of a vehicle used for business (insurance total loss) that was gifted to me in July 2009.  I have the FMV of the vehicle at that time.

TurboTax Home & Business asks me how much I paid ($0). I filled in the rest of the information including the "Prior Year Section 179 Deduction" (from 2009). And later I entered in the Business portion of Sales Price (insurance payout).

When I run the review/check it tells me the Sect 179 cannot be greater than the vehicle cost. I zero the Sect 179 and checks out.

I went back to the Step-by-Step and this time it asks me for a FMV for the vehicle in addition to the price paid. I entered this and also entered in again the "Prior Year Section 179" thinking this would be compared to the FMV. Same rejection on the review/check.

Going back again on Vehicle expenses in Step-by-step and the entry for FMV is gone again.

So the question are: Do I need the FMV at the time the vehicle was acquired?

If so, how do I enter it if TurboTax doesn't ask for it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Where to enter FMV of Disposed Vehicle

Yes, Adjust the fair market value of your vehicle. The FMV of a donated vehicle is generally the smaller of what the vehicle was worth at the time you received it as a gift or what the donor paid .

To figure out what to use see: What is the basis of property received as a gift?

To get back to that section:

1. Type casualty loss in Search in the top right
  2. Select Jump to casualty loss and make your adjustments
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies