Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Where do I report speaking honoraria income?

The search area is in the upper right corner of the screen if you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax.  You will see a magnifying glass next to the word Search.  Click Search and a box will open where you type 'Schedule C'.

If you are using TurboTax Online, it is still in the upper right corner, but you will only see a magnifying glass icon.  Click the magnifying glass and a search box will open.

Even though the messaging onscreen is telling you that more information is needed for the 1099-NECs, Schedule C is not required for honorarium payments and you have already included the 1099-NECs in your income.

[edited 2/19/2023 | 7:32 am PST]

@ChuckSherman 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
SM08

Assuming this was on a 1099NEC, would expense reimbursement be included in Box 1? Should it be?  I thought the point was to allow reporting of only the occasional income amount, not the expenses.  I don't see a way to deduct the expenses unless I file on Schedule C.  Seems like a lot of work for something that only happens occasionally.  Is it possible that Turbo Tax does not have this feature working properly?  Another alternative is to ask the Payer to revise the 1099NEC for only the honoraria and not the expense reimbursement.  Is that an option?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

The only way you can deduct the expenses is if you list the income on Schedule C as a business expense. This is per IRS rules that no longer allow deductions for a number of things including employee business expenses and even to claim the money you lose gambling against the money you win gambling you need to itemize your return. 

Yes, they likely included the expense reimbursement in your 1099-NEC as they should have.  So, there really would not be a point in asking them to revise the 1099-NEC since they have to account for where there money went.  

So basically, you can report it as other income  in the less common income section and leave the expenses included in your income or you can report it as business income and deduct the expenses. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies