Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will the 2021 8915-f form be available on Turbo Tax to efile?

Thank you.  I was fixing to start looking for other online software when we have used TT since 1999 on CD to present day.  

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We appreciate the loyalty with us @April 04

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbotax updated their federal forms availability and the 8915-f will be released 3/31/2022. 7+ weeks seems like a long way out just to confirm TT software is compatible with IRS...if HR Block does release theirs today, I am definitely switching over.

I choose NOT to file over 3 years and paid all taxes on my Covid related withdrawal last tax season, do I need to wait on this form?? When attempting to answer the question about the withdrawal, I say yes because I did take a Covid related withdrawal and it tells me that to come back because the form isn’t ready. However, I’m not sure if I’ll truly need the form since I paid all taxes last year. Can someone advise if I’ll need to wait on this form to file my taxes or not??

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, as long as you claimed all of the distribution (and it was all added to your 2020 AGI) on last year's taxes, you do not need to fill out the 8915-f. 

@KekeP If you chose to Not distribute the Coronavirus related withdrawal from a tax deferred retirement account in tax year 2020 over 3 years then there is nothing you need to report concerning the 2020 withdrawal.

The Form 8915-F would not apply to you.

@DoninGA thanks so much!

@alpierron @Yes, it was all added to my AGI last year! Thanks so much 

Has anyone actually filed with another service where 8915-F was available, and everything worked?  I'm definitely thinking of switching if TT is really saying it could take until the end of March.  That's ridiculous!  But if the form isn't truly ready within other efile servicers, then I will wait a couple days... frustrating!

@ABC601 wrote:

Has anyone actually filed with another service where 8915-F was available, and everything worked?  I'm definitely thinking of switching if TT is really saying it could take until the end of March.  That's ridiculous!  But if the form isn't truly ready within other efile servicers, then I will wait a couple days... frustrating!

I also would be interested if anyone has used another tax preparation service company and successfully e-filed the Form 8915-F with their tax return.

Looking at the 8915-F form and reading the Instructions for the Form 8915-F seems to definitely show a very complex and complicated form to incorporate into tax preparation software.  The directions to the user of the software for use of this form would have to be very carefully written so as not to create errors when entering the tax data from the Form 8915-E that was used in tax year 2020.  Would not think this would be just a couple days programming job.

I used FreeTaxUSA since TT is saying the end of March. The 8915f form is available and integrated into their software. It automatically pulled in my info from 8915e to 8915f. All I formation was correct and match the previous year; additionally, it ask all the same questions as TT.

I was able to successfully e-file taxes this morning at no charge and with no complications.

Thanks so much for that info.  I don't want to switch just because I've used TT for so long, and all of my info in in one place.  But, the ability to get my taxes filed PLUS for less money than TT charges, I guess it's a no-brainer....

Originally the IRS said form 8915-F would be out on 3/17/2022 (see first post of this thread).

TurboTax's "Federal Individual Forms Availability" chart shows it being ready in the TurboTax system by 3/31/2022 (https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html)

However, the 8915-F was published by the IRS on 2/2/2022 (6 weeks early).

I'm going to wager that the forms availability chart has just not been updated, and probably just added 2 weeks to the original release date given by IRS.

Ergo, TurboTax should have it available around 2/16/2022. Just a guess though...

wyant7558

Mhenly Did the IRS accept your Efile or is it still pending?

@vtdarkhorse hope you are right.... but I really doubt it. They form availability only showed up over night. If you had searched it yesterday the form was not even listed. It is a "win" that we can see that the form is listed with a deadline. I just searched FreeTaxUSA and it says it has all the relevant forms and can import from TT previous year. I may follow the other person that has already filed. I would save some coin since I normally buy Small Business edition (which I have yet to buy) if I go this route. I do want to keep all with TT but last year it took the IRS 3.5 months after I filed to get my refund. Anticipating the same delay it would be nice to get ahead of it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies