turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bartsharp

When will my 2020 Federal Tax return be updated to reflect changes in taxability of unemployment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

When will my 2020 Federal Tax return be updated to reflect changes in taxability of unemployment?

Your tax return will not actually be updated. The IRS will recalculate your tax return and send you the additional refund. It might take several months to get it. They will be sending the refunds over the course of the summer. For more information see the following IRS announcements and FAQ.

IRS to recalculate taxes on unemployment benefits; refunds to start in May

IRS begins correcting tax returns for unemployment compensation income exclusion

IRS sending more than 2.8 million refunds to those who already paid taxes on 2020 unemployment compe...

2020 Unemployment Compensation Exclusion FAQs

if your online return was updated for the UC exemption, then when you go to file 2021 electronically it will be rejected due to an AGI mismatch. for efiling the next year's return the IRS always wants the AGI off the prior year's return that was originally filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies