Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When the previous years tax files are searched for transferring, there are 2 copies that are listed. One has a squiggly character in front of the 2016 tax file name.

For each tax file listed for 2016 after doing the transfer search, there are 2 copies listed - the first is the regular individual tax file and below it one with a squiqly character prefixing the tax file. This happened last year and I forget the reason/resolution as to why this is occurring and which file to transfer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When the previous years tax files are searched for transferring, there are 2 copies that are listed. One has a squiggly character in front of the 2016 tax file name.

The file with the tilde ~ means it is a temporary file that for some reason did not disappear on its own.   The true tax file from last year that you want to transfer should not have the tilde.   Do not transfer from the ~ tilde file.

After you confirm that the transfer from the true data file is successful and all  the data is correct, at some point you could delete the file with the tilde.  It could be a temporary file from the late stage of your 2016 preparation, or it could be temporary file from an earlier stage of your preparation.   It can serve as a sort of backup during return preparation if someone were to lose their data file somehow, but it might not be the exact version of what they had just been working on.  I suppose comparing the file date to the date of the actual data file might offer a clue.

But I wouldn't count on a tilde file for backup.  And it's not always generated in any predictable fashion, and it could disappear on its own.

You should be making your own data file backup frequently during preparation and not counting on a tilde file.   I save a copy of my *.tax2017 data file after each session that I work on my return.  I copy the data file to a flash drive each time--just in case.  You can also save to other types of external media, external drive, etc.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The file with the tilde ~ means it is a temporary file that for some reason did not disappear on its own.   The true tax file from last year that you want to transfer should not have the tilde.   Do not transfer from the ~ tilde file.

After you confirm that the transfer from the true data file is successful and all  the data is correct, at some point you could delete the file with the tilde.  It could be a temporary file from the late stage of your 2016 preparation, or it could be temporary file from an earlier stage of your preparation.   It can serve as a sort of backup during return preparation if someone were to lose their data file somehow, but it might not be the exact version of what they had just been working on.  I suppose comparing the file date to the date of the actual data file might offer a clue.

But I wouldn't count on a tilde file for backup.  And it's not always generated in any predictable fashion, and it could disappear on its own.

You should be making your own data file backup frequently during preparation and not counting on a tilde file.   I save a copy of my *.tax2017 data file after each session that I work on my return.  I copy the data file to a flash drive each time--just in case.  You can also save to other types of external media, external drive, etc.

All my files have the tilde along with the proper name. Must be happening at the end stage of TTax. Started last year. Thanks.

You're welcome.  Good luck.
Trey
Level 3

The tilde file saved me big time this year.  Big time.

crashtx1

I have these left over every year, meaning TT isn't cleaning up. Basic programming.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies