turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work as a musician and I sometimes have to fill out a w-9 for gigs. How do i file for these shows? Or do I need to?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I work as a musician and I sometimes have to fill out a w-9 for gigs. How do i file for these shows? Or do I need to?

When someone has you fill out a W-9, that means they intend to send you a 1099-Misc form showing how much they paid you for your performance(s). They will also file this information with the IRS, so YES - you need to report it as income on Schedule C. 

Free-lance performing musicians are considered to be independent contractors, so the amount you were paid will be in Box 7 - Non-Employee Compensation  of the 1099 form.

If you were paid more than $600 for the year, the payer should send your 1099 to you by February 15 of the year following the performances (although it is not uncommon for these to be late). 

If you were paid less than $600, they are not required to issue a 1099, but they may still report the information to the IRS.

If you had any other musicians performing with you, they are also independent contractors, and you can deduct the amount you paid them.  If you paid any of them more than $600, then you should also issue them a 1099.

Update: As of 2019, 1099 forms need to be sent/received by January 31.
view2

Most working musicians with 1099 MISC income   are considered "self-employed" in regard to filing their taxes. In a legal and taxpaying sense this means that your "business" as a musician and you as an individual taxpayer are one and the same 

The musician/performer usually files a "Schedule C" as part of their regular 1040 income tax form (this is where you report the revenue you received last year!).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies