Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sriggins

My mother passed away and I need to file her taxes. I have her account info for prior years. Can I use her account to file the taxes or do I need a new account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
kosmoboy1965
Returning Member

My mother passed away and I need to file her taxes. I have her account info for prior years. Can I use her account to file the taxes or do I need a new account?

When my mother passed in 2010 - I had to file her taxes individually for that year.  Once that's completed, the IRS will know that that tax payer is now deceased.

So, if your mother passed in 2018, you have to file her taxes as she normally would, you just answer deceased at that question.  If I remember correctly it'll ask did the tax payer pass during 2018? 

I would also encourage you to contact all three credit reporting agencies and inform them also of her passing so they can close her credit file.  You'll have to provide them with the death certificate.

I am sorry for your loss -- and I hope some of this information was helpful.

jtax
Level 10

The question wasn't about how to file, but whether or not her mother's TT account could be used or another account needed to be created.

There is an obvious advantage to use the existing account because 2017 info will be included.

If you don't get an answer, then my thought is that you could give it a try and see what happens. If it asks if the taxpayer died and you can answer yes then you are probably good. TT even says that you can efile the return, which surprises me a little bit. (<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899441-can-i-e-file-a-tax-return-for-someone-who-is-deceased">htt...>)
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbo tax says you can E-File, but if you try you get an error.  I ran into this is 2016 and reported it.  I found that the error had  been reported as far back as 2014. To my knowledge it has not been fixed.  But you can certainly try and if it doesn't work, just mail it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies