When it is asking you to purchase Deluxe, scroll down to the bottom on the screen and click on "Keep Free" in the Free Edition column. That will keep you in Free Edition. If you keep getting that message, you are probably trying to enter a Form that Free Edition doesn't support. If you accidentally upgraded to Deluxe, you can start over, see instructions near the bottom of the answer.
The free version does not support entering a 1099-misc BUT our Freedom edition does if you have an AGI less than $33,000. Freedom edition is also free.
TurbotTax Freedom Edition ( Different from the Free Edition) which supports all forms ( If you have more than W-2 income): https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/
Here's how to downgrade to the free version:
- If you haven't already done so, sign in at TurboTax.com and select the blue Take me to my return button.
- On the welcome back screen, in the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then select Clear & Start Over (click or tap the 3 lines in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
- Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.
You can downgrade using the Clear and Start Over feature but bear in mind that the different TurboTax "flavors" handle different tax situations and their associated forms.
For example, if you got upgraded to Deluxe because you're itemizing (Schedule A), you can clear and start over in Free Edition, but as soon as you've entered sufficient itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction, you'll be asked to upgrade to Deluxe again.
Here is a short list of some common tax situations and the online products that now uniquely support them:
- Itemized Deductions (Schedule A/1040)- Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed, and TurboTax Live
- Capital Gains or Losses (Schedule D) - Premier, Self-Employed, and TurboTax Live
- Rental Income (Schedule E) - Premier, Self-Employed, and TurboTax Live
- Profit or Loss from Business (Schedules C-EZ and C) - Self-Employed and TurboTax Live
Keep in mind that TurboTax Free Edition is intended for taxpayers with simple returns (1040EZ or 1040A with the standard deduction), e.g. first-time filers and students.
- TurboTax 2017 Online Product Guide
- How do I clear and start over in TurboTax Online?
- How do I upgrade or switch to a higher version of TurboTax Online?
Still have questions?Make a post