Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When is TurboTax going to support form 5471? This form is the only reason I can’t file electronically and it is a pain since I live outside of the US.

There is nothing complicated about filling out this form for an inactive corporation.   Why can’t it be supported, even in a limited way?  Filing is required since I own a foreign corporation whose only asset is my house.  
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

When is TurboTax going to support form 5471? This form is the only reason I can’t file electronically and it is a pain since I live outside of the US.

We can’t tell you why TurboTax makes such policy decisions. 

I agree with @Bsch4477 and, furthermore, this is not the first form that is missing from TurboTax that has been the subject of numerous requests for inclusion. 

There are a number of situations in the 5471 instructions that call for the attachment of a statement, a company org chart, or other items.  Turbotax seems to have made a policy decision not to allow any PDF attachments, even when permitted by the e-file format.   So my guess would be that a lot of people who need form 5471 wouldn't be able to use it even if they included it, because of the blocking of attachments.  That doesn't help you, of course, but I think that could be the reason. 

@Opus 17 wrote:

........but I think that could be the reason. 

I don't; there's almost certainly little or no demand for the form, similar to some other forms, such as Form 8997.

Another DIY consumer-level software provider includes Form 5471, but that's just one of several.

So I know they won't tell you.    How do I get their attention?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies