Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

matilda6
Returning Member

When I import our 2nd account from Merrill Lynch it overwrites the first one

When I started taxes only one of our two Merrill Lynch accounts was available for import.  I imported it and got  all 1099s for that account.  The 1099B needed a lot of additional information and I completed all that.  There were 150 sales on this 1099B.  The second account forms are now available.  Unfortunately when I import the second account it overwrites the first one - including all the information I had to add.  Luckily it was the first thing I did today so I could just exit Turbotax without saving and get my previous version back.  I tried deleting all history and cache from my browser (for all time - everything).  I tried renaming the file (even though Merrill includes the account number so they already have different titles).  Nothing works.  The first file had 150 stock sales, the newly available one has 50 (all needing additional information like the first one). 

I am hoping somebody knows how I can import the second account without overwriting the first one. My only other alternatives appear to be 1) to enter the second account and required edits on 1099B  (all 50 sales) by hand, or 2) to download the two accounts at the same time and repeat all I did on the first one.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

do you have any wash sales in the first account?

do you have any wash sales in the second account?

@matilda6 

matilda6
Returning Member

Thank you for the response but -  How would wash sales have anything to do with overwriting an imported account's 1099 forms? 

All of the first account's 1099 forms are overwritten  - the 1099 INT and 1099 DIV are easy to enter by hand so I'm not too concerned about them.

My question is how do I prevent the first imported accounts forms from being overwritten by the second.  Sorry I was too wordy previously.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Multiple Brokerage Accounts 

If you have a single broker for multiple accounts, when the selecting to add another account for the same broker: 

• Clear cookies and then search for your broker via the search bar rather than clicking the broker icon. 
  • This should allow the screen to input account information and import the data. 

This answer was given by Tax Expert @CatinaT1  Multiple Brokerage Accounts 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies