Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When filing i was not asked for a ip pin, where can i go to add now that the return is completed

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When filing i was not asked for a ip pin, where can i go to add now that the return is completed

If you already transmitted your return, you will need to wait for the IRS to reject it.  Then you can add the IP pin and re-transmit.

There is a question in the "file" interview for IP pin, but it's small and out of the way.  A better way to find it is to click the tab for "Other tax situations."

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If it's the 5-digit e-filing PIN, that number doesn't change from year to year unless you take physical action to change it. If you e-filed last year it was imported from last year's .tax2016 file.
If it's the 6-digit IP PIN, then in the search box at the top left enter IP PIN and take the "jump to" link when it appears.

its the 6 digit code, Ive added it now, but has it been submitted yet or was it not too late>
Carl
Level 15

If you already submitted the return, you can't change anything until it's rejected. If the 6-digit IP pin is required and you submitted without it, then just wait for it to be rejected. Then you can add the IP PIN and just re-submit it. Since the IRS doesn't start processing returns until Jan 29th, you may be waiting until then for the rejection.

It let me update the return already with the pin and i double checked to be sure its there. who can i ask to check into this>
Carl
Level 15

Nobody. If you submitted your return without the IP PIN *and* it is required, all you can do is wait for the IRS to reject it. Now if you know somebody at the IRS you can always call them. But as it stands now, you wait.
Understand that I don't care how soon you submit your return, the IRS has made it clear that they are not processing any returns before Jan 29th. So submitting today, and even if your return shows an "accepted" status today, you are not getting your refund any faster than I will when I submit my return on Jan 29th. Just because the IRS may have accepted your return before Jan 29th, does not mean they're processing it.

If you already transmitted your return, you will need to wait for the IRS to reject it.  Then you can add the IP pin and re-transmit.

There is a question in the "file" interview for IP pin, but it's small and out of the way.  A better way to find it is to click the tab for "Other tax situations."

LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Please read this TurboTax faq article.  I hope it helps! 

If you have already submitted your return, you would have to wait for IRS to reject it to re-open the return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301088

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies