Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elora1997

When do the IRS start sending out returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KennethB

For 2017 returns, the IRS will begin accepting e-file returns on January 29, 2018. (A few returns will be processed up to a week before this date for testing purposes.)

If you file your return in TurboTax before January 29, we'll hold your return and submit it at that time.

Note: If your return is among those that the IRS processes early as part of its testing, your tax refund (if any) won't be processed until after January 29.  The IRS states that it can take up to 21 days for refunds to be issued via direct deposit once the return has been accepted and processed. The individual state's payment of direct deposit refunds vary. The best place to find that information is on your specific state's department of revenue website. 

Taxpayers who claim the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit may experience a refund hold.  According to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS cannot issue these refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects the earliest EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or debit cards starting February 27, 2018, if these taxpayers chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return.  

The IRS also provides a tool for you to track the status of your refund at the following link:  https://www.irs.gov/refunds

I just got a refund date of January 29 when can I expect my refund in my account if it has to go to turbo tax first 

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

*The IRS will officially begin accepting and processing tax returns for the 2019 tax year on Monday, Jan. 27, 2020.2 The agency will begin accepting electronically filed tax returns on that date, and it will start processing paper returns as well. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-confirms-tax-filing-season-to-begin-january-28

Most taxpayers receive their refunds within 21 days. If you choose to have your refund deposited directly into your account, you may have to wait five days before you can gain access to it. If you request a refund check, you might have to wait a few weeks for it to arrive. Here is a link to the 2020 Tax refund schedule. https://smartasset.com/taxes/irs-tax-refund-schedule

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies