Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What to include in mailed 1040-x amended return?

I'm amending my 2021 return to reflect a Foreign Tax Credit carryback from 2022. I was able to e-file an amended 2022 return to show the carryback. TT is requiring me to mail in my amended 2021 return as it does not support e-filing a 2021 amended return. So, here's my question:

What forms do I include along with the 2021 '1040-X' ? Do I only include the 1040-X, the amended 1040 reflecting the foreign tax credit adjustment, and the amended form 1116?  Or, do I have to include all forms/schedules filed with the original 1040 even if they don't show any changes? Do I also need to include the amended 2022 '1040' that shows the origination of the carryback?

Turbotax is not providing any clarity in their instructions around what to include when mailing the amended return.

Thanks in advance for all help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

What to include in mailed 1040-x amended return?

For the 2021 amended tax return, you only need to include the 2021 Form 1040-X and the amended 2021 Form 1116.

You do not include either the changed 2021 Form 1040 or the original 2021 Form 1040, nor any 2022 forms or schedules.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies