Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What to claim on taxes

I have been trying to plan out some financial decisions for next year with a new job and a general idea of how much I will be paid, and have been trying to understand if claiming 1 or 0 in the future will be worth it and how much of a difference it would make? Ideally understanding how to bring my net taxes to near 0 while taking home as much as possible per month.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What to claim on taxes

The new W-4 form doesn't use allowances anymore, so you no longer claim 0 or 1 or any other number of allowances. The new form works differently. Use the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator at the link that Critter-3 posted above to figure out what to put on your W-4 form. It will show you how to adjust your withholding to get the approximate refund amount that you want.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

What to claim on taxes

What to claim on taxes

The W-4 form which you fill out for your employer is designed to withhold the proper amount of tax. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What to claim on taxes

The new W-4 form doesn't use allowances anymore, so you no longer claim 0 or 1 or any other number of allowances. The new form works differently. Use the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator at the link that Critter-3 posted above to figure out what to put on your W-4 form. It will show you how to adjust your withholding to get the approximate refund amount that you want.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies