DianaNC

What's the difference between "balance due using computer figures" and "balance due using TP fig per computer" in my IRS record? They say I owe $619 more than TurboTax.

TurboTax said I owed $552, which I paid. I just received an IRS notice saying that I still owed $619 plus interest without explanation. I looked through my record of account and found those two lines and the resulting difference of $619. I've tried calling the IRS several times a day for the past week without any luck getting through. Any clues? I see a recovery rebate credit of $619 listed on the statement transcript I downloaded, but why would I need to pay $619 now?

Did you have the 619 or 600 on your 1040 line 30?  

Did you not get one of the first 2 Stimulus payments?   Or qualify for more?  Line 30 is only if you qualify for more or missed getting one.

If you claimed a missing stimulus payment on your return but the IRS took it off you have to ask the IRS. They think they already sent it to you. Did you get the 2nd round after you filed your return?   Maybe it went to an account you don't remember. Or you got a check or a card. It was probably easy to miss the debit card in the mail and think it was junk mail. They have to put a trace on it.

How to put a trace on a missing 1st or 2nd Stimulus payment.  IRS for Payment Issued but Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or Not Received

See question F3 here, you can expand it to see how to put a trace on it.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-recovery-rebate-credit-topic-f-finding-the-first-and-second-econom...

fanfare

if your statement shows "Tax Relief credit" adding up to $619, that's your EIP1 and EIP2 already sent to you.

You can't then put that amount on Line 30  and reduce your refund - IRS will deny it.

TP stands for taxpayer so that should be the smaller of the two numbers that differ by $619.

DianaNC

Thank you for the explanation. I thought I just followed the instructions from Turbo Tax, but I must have misunderstood one of the questions. I'm not sure where the $619 figure comes from since that wasn't the amount of my stimulus payment, but it is listed on line 30. I guess I have to cough up some more money now.

fanfare

@DianaNC 

TurboTax did this to millions of taxpayers, but won't admit to it.

Now the IRS is behind with 7 million returns still to be checked by a person.

DianaNC

Oh wow. Thanks for letting me know! At least now I no longer feel stupid since I'm usually very careful when filing my taxes.