Solved: What name should I use when filing my taxes for 2018?

Japtrupusz

What name should I use when filing my taxes for 2018?

I got divorced in December 2018, my maiden name has been restored by court. I changed my name in January 2019 with Social Security Office. My W2 arrived with my married name. Should I request new W2 from my employer to file my taxes?

Rachel_W

No, you do not need to request a new W2 from your Employer because it has your married last name, just give them a copy of your new Social Security Card so they will have the correct last name going forward.

It can take the Social Security Administration 4-8 weeks to update name changes to the IRS. I would recommend that you first try using your maiden name to E-file your taxes. Be aware that if the IRS system has not been updated yet with your new information, your return will be rejected.  If this happens, you will simply need to login to TurboTax, change your last name back to your married name and resubmit your return.  This type of reject doesn't have any negative consequences on the filing of your Tax Return or the issuance of your refund.

Rachel_W

Where you can run into trouble is if you file in the old name then the refund is sent in the old name and if you don't have a bank account with the old name on it still then it may be hard to cash.
Japtrupusz

Thank you! I have to return the money to IRS...