Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

garnbren

What is the fiscal year filing date for a Trust dated 4/3/18?

My wife's mother died 10/19/17 and a house in her name was in a trust with her husband.  Her wishes were for her children to have the house she had title to in the state of Washington.  The original trust with her husband was amended naming her 3 children and only included the house and named me as the Executer of the trust.  I applied for the EIN after the Trust was amended.  What is a reasonable date for the fiscal year?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

" What is a reasonable date for the fiscal year?"

A fiscal year begins on the date of death in the case of an estate and the date the trust becomes irrevocable in the case of a trust (which is also generally the date of death with respect to a grantor (revocable) trust). 

For example, if the fiscal year began on 4/3/18, it would end on 3/31/19 and the income tax return, if required, would be due by 7/15/19 (which is the 15th day of the 4th month following the close of the tax year).

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#idm140630132069712

View solution in original post

1 Reply

" What is a reasonable date for the fiscal year?"

A fiscal year begins on the date of death in the case of an estate and the date the trust becomes irrevocable in the case of a trust (which is also generally the date of death with respect to a grantor (revocable) trust). 

For example, if the fiscal year began on 4/3/18, it would end on 3/31/19 and the income tax return, if required, would be due by 7/15/19 (which is the 15th day of the 4th month following the close of the tax year).

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#idm140630132069712

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies