turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if you had more than one type of health insurance

I had insurance through Obamacare from Jan-July.. I then had a 2-3 month gap and was covered by with insurance by my new job. How do I avoid paying the penalty for having multiple months without coverage when I did have it again at the end of the year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnC11

When you get to the healthcare questions, TurboTax Online will ask a number of multiple choice questions:

• If you and your dependents were all covered all year
    • If so, it will continue normally to the next question/answer phase
  • If you and your dependents were covered some of the year
    • If this was the case, it will then ask additional clarifying questions
  • If nobody was covered all year.

If a person is covered 1 day of a month only, they are considered covered that entire month...for purposes of this section of your tax return.

FYI:  The Government understands there are situations a person may have not had coverage 25% of the year (3 months...coincidence?).  Just go through the questions, answer as best you can, and we'll work with you to prepare your tax return. 

There are some question/answer panels that have blue links on the bottom to clarify some situations, or provide guidance.  Please check them before answering any question too quickly, they may apply to you.

If you did not have coverage the entire year on a dependent or yourself, please confirm the months you were covered. You'll either get a form from your insurance provider that includes this, or you can contact them telephonically to get this information.

This information is important in your tax return preparation to make sure you do not get overcharged if a fee were imposed as well as ensure your return is accurate.

If this helped you, please up-vote this answer so I know you were taken care of 100%. If we need to work together further to get it resolved, please comment...we'll get it taken care of together.

I'm here to help.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnC11

When you get to the healthcare questions, TurboTax Online will ask a number of multiple choice questions:

• If you and your dependents were all covered all year
  • If you and your dependents were covered some of the year
    • If this was the case, it will then ask additional clarifying questions
  • If nobody was covered all year.

If a person is covered 1 day of a month only, they are considered covered that entire month...for purposes of this section of your tax return.

FYI:  The Government understands there are situations a person may have not had coverage 25% of the year (3 months...coincidence?).  Just go through the questions, answer as best you can, and we'll work with you to prepare your tax return. 

There are some question/answer panels that have blue links on the bottom to clarify some situations, or provide guidance.  Please check them before answering any question too quickly, they may apply to you.

If you did not have coverage the entire year on a dependent or yourself, please confirm the months you were covered. You'll either get a form from your insurance provider that includes this, or you can contact them telephonically to get this information.

This information is important in your tax return preparation to make sure you do not get overcharged if a fee were imposed as well as ensure your return is accurate.

If this helped you, please up-vote this answer so I know you were taken care of 100%. If we need to work together further to get it resolved, please comment...we'll get it taken care of together.

I'm here to help.

sandlee39

IN MA ONLY PUT IN MEDICARE  NO ID NEEDED 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies