turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does reject code IND-512-01 mean?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
JudyTR

Here is the information I found about this rejection code:

This return has been rejected by the IRS because there is a dependent listed on this return whose Social Security Number (SSN) has been listed as the spouse SSN on another return that has already been accepted by the IRS for this tax year.  Verify that the dependent's SSN is entered correctly. If you see a mistake in the SSN, correct it and resubmit the return. If the dependent information is correct as you submitted it, you cannot electronically file your return with this information. You must file by mail.

If you need further assistance, leave a comment below and I will be happy to try and help.

How or where do I find the "description field?"
JudyTR

Let me look, it is the second dependent

My daughter-in-law and son swear they have not included her in any other tax returns for this year.  What can I do now?
JudyTR

The IRS has the SSN on a tax return, since you know you have the right to claim her you can still file with her on your tax return.  Unfortunately the IRS will only accept the paper form and not electronically.  Once they receive the paper form they will investigate further as to the duplication of the Social Security Number.  Parents will say they have children that they are not claiming on their taxes and input the SSNs when it is not actually needed.  I wish I could tell you there is a trick to bypass the IRS, but there isn't.

My tax return keeps getting rejected because of this code
My dependent Is the spouse for another taxpayer who is married but filed separately ??? In this case I cannot claim my dependent in my tax return ???
tilly96

Could I receive this rejection If I accidentally filed twice on turbo tax when I went back to add TurboTax Plus?
adasha

I was told the same thing.  When filing electronically, the system sees the SSN is used already for whatever reason and automatically rejects it.  That's why they say you must email your return, so a human can interpret it.  I had the same issue where I paid for the care 100% of my daughter who is separated, but since her husband filed "married filing separately", the IRS assumes they are both filing a tax return, because they're married, but they are each filing separately.  So they are waiting on her (her SSN) to file a return, so it can't be used by myself.  To me, it's a glitch in their system.  The same with my 19-year old son.  My ex was not supposed to claim him but did first, so I can't even claim him on my return and all of his college I paid for.  So my only option is to electronically file as is, then file an amended return by paper with them on it, explaining why I have the right to claim them.

adasha

See my reply below.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

You will need to print and mail your return. You will not be able to file electronically. You can also try to claim your son if your ex was not supposed to claim him. The IRS will review the dependent on each return, contact the taxpayers, and make the determination of the claim.

You’ll need to answer the following questions to determine if you can claim them.

• Are they a citizen or resident? The person must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, U.S. resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. Many people wonder if they can claim a foreign-exchange student who temporarily lives with them. The answer is maybe, but only if they meet this requirement.
  • Are you the only person claiming them as a dependent? You can’t claim someone who takes a personal exemption for himself or claims another dependent on his own tax form.
  • Are they filing a joint return? You cannot claim someone who is married and files a joint tax return. Say you support your married teenaged son: If he files a joint return with his spouse, you can’t claim him as a dependent.

In addition to the qualifications above, to claim an exemption for your child, you must be able to answer "yes" to all of the following questions.

• Are they related to you? The child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them.
  • Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Do they live with you? Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply.
  • Do you financially support them? Your child may have a job, but that job cannot provide more than half of her support.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This requirement commonly applies to children of divorced parents. Here you must use the “tie breaker rules,” which are found in IRS Publication 501. These rules establish income, parentage and residency requirements for claiming a child.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ericlwh1

How or where do I find the Description field

@ericlwh1   You have added on to a very old thread with several people.  What are you looking for?  The description field for what?  Please add more details.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies