wildone3c

What do I need to fill out to obtain the $2500 Louisiana EV tax credit? I purchased a Tesla in December.

Louisiana offers a $2500 tax credit but I'm not sure what I need to fill out in order to get that.  I purchased a Tesla in December.   Reference: https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/laws/ELEC?state=la
ErnieS0

Louisiana provides a credit for the purchase of or conversion of a vehicle designed to run on an alternative fuel. The credit for the purchase of a qualifying new vehicle is equal to 10 percent of the cost of the qualified vehicle or $2,500, whichever is less.

You must attach documentation verifying the conversion or purchase of the vehicle and the vehicle’s registration with the Louisiana Department of Public Safety.

Refer to page 4 of Form IT-540 instructions

wildone3c

Thanks Ernie!   I referred to form IT-540 and added the credit amount of $2500 under Louisiana Nonrefundable Priority 1 Credits,  but my LA State refund only went to $1247.  I owed about $120 to state so I'd expect it to be around $2380.  I also do not see where I can attach the proof of purchase or registration as it does require that like you said.   Does this look correct or would you recommend letting a tax expert prepare my taxes for me this year? 

Thanks! 

ErnieS0

The Louisiana EV tax credit is a nonrefundable credit, meaning any amounts not used to reduce your tax are lost. They are not added to your refund (that is called a refundable credit).

Was $1,367 ($120 + $1,247) the total amount of your withholding and tax payments? You must have other things on the LA return at play.