Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I have to put on the options for the stimulus check if I submitted my previous taxes as Head of Household with a dependent and this year I'll be filling married

What do I have to put on the options for the stimulus check if I submitted my previous taxes as Head of Household with a dependent and this year I'll be filling married jointly. So on my first round for the stimulus check I got $1,700 and I haven't received the second one, but now I'm filling my taxes as Married together with my wife. but she hasn't received no stimulus check because this will be her first time doing taxes. I just need to know how do I have to fill out this option on TurboTax.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

What do I have to put on the options for the stimulus check if I submitted my previous taxes as Head of Household with a dependent and this year I'll be filling married

Enter into TurboTax the $1,700 payment you actually received. Also check the IRS Get My Payment site to make sure your second payment is not in the mail.

Don’t worry about your previous filing status. The stimulus payments were advanced payments based on your 2020 tax situation (because the COVID-19 started in 2020). Since the IRS did not have 2020 information when it sent out payments, the Service used 2018 and 2019 tax information with the understanding that any missing payments would be added to your 2020 tax return.

Your Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus payment) will be based on filing a married joint return with one child (I assume this from your $1,700 first payment).

In that case, you should receive a $3,000 credit ($1,200 first payment for your wife and $1,800 second payment for everyone [$600 each]) assuming everyone qualifies.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much for you answer.

However you got it wrong on one side, my taxes from 2019 that I submitted on 2020 it was like Head of Household with a dependent, because of that I did receive $1,700 on the stimulus check first round. 

In the beginning of 2020 I got dirvorced and then I got married with my new wife on November 2020, so this year 2021 will be our first year filling taxes together jointly with my new wife, and an important thing to mention my current wife never submitted taxes before so it will be her first year, for that reason she hasn't received no stimulus check yet.

I did received the $1,200 for myself plus $500 for the dependent. As I said total of $1,700. 

You have it wrong when I said that now I'm filling taxes together with my current wife, and we have no dependent. 

I was wondering if I fill out the option of the first round check with my amount $1,700, is this going to affect my current wife stimulus check or not?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I think you are saying this:

• Stimulus payment 1 should have been $1,200 + $1,200 + $500 = $2,900 but you received only $1,700.
  • Stimulus payment 2 should have been $600 + $600 + $600 = $1,800 but you received only $1,200.

On your 2020 Federal tax return, you file married filing jointly, and report Stimulus payment 1 as $1,700 and Stimulus payment 2 as $1,200.  You expect that the Rebate Recovery Credit will be $1,800 on line 30 of the Federal 1040 tax return.

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You can also access your stimulus check choices by following these steps:

Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.

• Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies