the first thing the IRS wants you to do is to contact your employer.
normally the next step, if you don't get it, is to report the employer to the IRS at 800-829-1040. however, the IRS isn't even taking calls at the present
so that leaves you with filing form 4852 with your return. at least some versions of TurboTax have this form. if not you'll need to use the paper form from the IRS and file by mail
If you have not received your W-2 yet, and your employer will not send you one, there are a few steps you can take:
- You should try to contact the IRS at (800) 829-1040.
- You can get a copy of your W-2 from the Social Security Administration - How can I get a copy of my wage and tax statements (Form W-2)?
- You get get a transcript of from the IRS at the page Get Transcript.
- You can use your paystubs and complete a substitute W-2 in TurboTax. Please note - with this option, you will have to mail your return.
To complete a substitute W-2 in TurboTax, please follow the instructions below:
- Open your tax return.
- Search for W-2 with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
- Select the Jump to W-2 link at the top of the search results.
- Click on Add a W-2.
- Follow the on screen instructions to enter as best as you can based on your paystubs.
- On the following page titled Do Any of these Uncommon Situations Apply?, check Substitute Form.