turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

donzes

What constitutes a "Qualified Health Insurance Premiums" for Missouri?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies

Qualified Health Insurance Premiums are any and all payments that you made for health insurance.  If you deducted these expenses on your federal tax return, you may still get a deduction.
It’s very difficult to claim any medical deductions on your federal income tax return because you have to meet the requirement that your medical expenses exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.  In Missouri, you don’t have that.  If your health insurance isn’t already exempt from taxes, you can claim your health insurance as a deduction on your Missouri State income tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Linda H
Returning Member

Can you deduct premiums paid out of pocket (after tax dollars) if those premiums are reimbursed by your former employer as a retirement benefit?

but where did the value automatically there come from?

If you made an entry in the Itemized Deductions (Medical Expenses), it would transfer to the state.
kathieh00

why is the amount for missouri qualified health insurance premiums pre-filled in turbo tax?
Linda H
Returning Member

If u are on social security, that field is prefixed with your part b premium u entered from your social security form. You can also enter any unreimbursed supplement premiums in the other premiums field.
kathieh00

My husband gets medicare but NOT social security. My daughter and I are under the ACA. Is there an upward limit on this credit? I can't find that amount $1752 listed anywhere. I did NOT itemize.

In general there is no limit- your husband's Medicare MAY qualify because the premiums were not deducted from social security, but if he received RRB there is a reduced deduction.

Our entire family is under the ACA.  We did not itemize, where did this number auto-populate from and how do I verify its accuracy?
kathieh00

This happened to me - I couldn't figure out where the amount came from until I finally realized that we had to pay more into the ACA (my husband is self-employed and got more money than we expected last year) and when I did the math it came out exactly right - Turbotax figured it out but didn't explain what it was doing...

When figuring Qualified Health Insurance Premiums, do you go by when it was paid or by the month of the coverage.  I always have to pay before the 1st of each month, so I paid January 2018 in December 2017. Because my coverage changed during the year...I went from COBRA coverage to a Health Marketplace Plan, my premiums changed drastically, so it makes a big difference whether I count my December 2017 payment for January 2018 or my December 2018 payment for January 2019 on my 2018 taxes.

FYI - In 2019, the IRS allows all taxpayers to deduct the total qualified unreimbursed medical care expenses for the year that exceeds 7.5% of their adjusted gross income. Beginning in 2020, the threshold amount increases to 10% of AGI.

It is any post tax premiums paid by you, either directly or through payroll deductions. 

If your employer takes the premiums out pre-tax (before taxes are calculated on income) then they are not deductible.  In this situation, you have already received your credit..

AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

Qualified Health Insurance Premiums are all payments that you made for health insurance.  If you deducted these expenses on your federal tax return, you may still get a deduction.

In Missouri, there is no floor on health care expenses (Federal has a 7.5% floor).  If your health insurance isn’t already exempt from taxes, you can claim your health insurance as a deduction on your Missouri income tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies