Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kuehngh1

What are obvious signs from a W2 that I may have been double taxed on state income taxes? Work remote in OH, employer mistakenly withheld for IN my first month.

I live and work remotely in OH.  Started a new job in March and for the first month my employer mistakenly had me reporting to our IN office, and thus withheld taxes for IN.  Once realized, this was changed and they started withholding for OH.

I received two W2s.  One that has State wages, taxes withheld, etc. from IN.  The other with that same info from OH.  
Box 16 (state wages) for my OH W2 matches my total wages from Box 1.  
Box 16 for my IN W2 is a smaller amount.
In filing my OH taxes (where I live), it asks if I paid state income taxes to Ohio and another state on the same income, in order to determine if I get a credit for these taxes paid.  
How would I know the answer?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

What are obvious signs from a W2 that I may have been double taxed on state income taxes? Work remote in OH, employer mistakenly withheld for IN my first month.

Since all of your income was included in your Ohio income, the amount you received in Indiana would in other situations be the amount that is being double taxed, but not in your situation.

Since you should not have had taxes withheld for IN, you would file a non resident return with IN claiming $0 in wages and leaving the full amount of taxes withheld so you can get a refund of the taxes erroneously withheld. In general, it is best to file the non resident return before your resident return.

So, when you claim the refund from IN, the actual amount of your income that is being double taxes is $0 as you will be claiming a full refund.

Since IN and OH have reciprocity, you have no tax liability to IN for wages you earn as an employee, even if you physically travel to IN for work. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies