turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ginbme

We just found out that my husband's W4 has 2 states on it for state taxes. how do we file that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DS30

We just found out that my husband's W4 has 2 states on it for state taxes. how do we file that?

Did your husband work in 2 different states? Does his W-2 include withholdings in your state of residence?
ginbme

Sort of. He travels a lot, but his home is in Utah. His work address apparently is in AZ and we just found out it has been that way since 2013...
DS30

If your husband works in a state other than your home state, he is required to file a nonresident state income tax return in that other state. He will only report income sourced to the other state on his nonresident state income tax return.

So for example, if your husband travel's to AZ and does work there, he will need to file a nonresident AZ state income tax return and report all AZ source income on this AZ state return.

For your resident state (UT), you will need to report all income (including AZ source income) from sources both inside and outside the state. You will get a state tax credit in UT for the taxes you paid to your nonresident state (AZ) on AZ source income that is also being taxed in UT.

You will want to work on your non-resident AZ state tax return first. You will then take a tax credit from your non-resident AZ return on your resident UT state tax return. (Please note that you will only get a tax credit for your AZ taxes up to the amount of UT taxes that would have been paid if the income was earned in UT). 

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your non-resident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations for the credit to your resident states return

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies